Sunday, November 2, 2008

How I love Halloween and getting ready for election night


Dressing up for Halloween and hanging out with my friends, the experiences, the laughs, the pictures, it all makes me feel so fortunate about my life. The experience makes me appreciate my freedom, my ability to live life as I want it, at every moment. I started dressing in costume with my friends Marc and Michael three years ago, we were naughty school girls, then geisha and now disco divas. This Halloween started with the getting ready in my office with MAC Pro make up artists making us look pretty, then dinner at Elmo (http://www.elmorestaurant.com/), a subway ride to a private party on Central Park West (we couldn't find the Limo, really) and a limo ride with a major stop and photo shoot in Times Square. Highly reccomended, mucho liberating.




I'm very excited and also nervous about the election on Tuesday. I believe that Obama has the awareness and ability to change things in this country, which is much needed. A lot of my friends are having Election night parties. Here is my suggetions for Tuesday:






1-Champagne-to celebrate and because we need it for the nerves. For a party on a budget, buy Prosseco and compliment it with a tiny drop of St. Germain (http://www.stgermain.fr/) and you can always add a raspberry if you vote for Mccain or a blueberry if you vote for Obama.


2-Comfort food-because these days, comfort is bliss. Make a lean turkey meat loaf and serve it with a mash of sweet potato and steamed vegetable. and for dessert, an apple tart and serve it with vanilla ice cream, all simple to make or order and so comforting. Please go and vote.


3-for an extra twist, make it a masacarade election party get Obama, McCain, Palin, Biden masks or suggest costumes inspired by "Joe six pack" or "Joe the plumber", Hockey mom, or Cindy Mccain showing gold Jewlerry (SNL).



Here are some restaurant recommendations:
Hill Country - A Texas barbecue and live music restaurant, the enviromet is designed to look like a western barbecue joint and the food is authentic. fun experience!

30 W. 26th St. New York, NY 10010



Mr. Jones

I was looking for this hidden spot for twenty minutes although I had the exact address, the reason was that it was hidden behind a construction facade. Not sure if the facade described is still there, but the interiors in this restaurant is elegant but not overly, contemporary asian, great for groups and very loungy. The food comes as japanes tapas, creative selection, I loved the cocktails with Yamamomo, which is a berry looking fruit, a mix of cherry and plum.

243 E. 14th St.


My friend Hattie invited me to see her new production of Glimpses of the Moon, based on a novel by Edith Wharton, at the Algonquin Hotel's Oak room, you can choose to have dinner and watch a sweet romantic show. great for a Monday night activity, not if you are going on a date with a suagr daddy.


The Algonquin Hotel

59 W. 44th St in NYC.

Tickets: 866.468.7619




36 hours in Toronto-I went to visit my friend Peter Fentum in Toronto for a short weekend. The flight takes 55 minutes and while landing you can see the city's skyline. Toronto is quite a charming city, very different areas, very clean and handsome. I recommend to take the ferry to Toronto Island which is a park on an island across from the city. The ferry ride allows you to see the city's skyline, the island has a very pretty small beach on the lake.


I also visited a nice restaurant called Cowbell (http://www.cowbellrestaurant.ca/) that serves all local and organic dishes, and went cross country riding in the Canadian forest, that was in the midste of turning its leaves-Beautiful! From Toronto to the Niagra Falls is no more than an hour and a half drive, so if you've never been...



Recent music I listen to includes the British singers Adele and Duffy. Adele's debut album "19" is sexy and romantic and features the hit "Chasing Pavements". Duffy's "Rockferry" is romantic as well, reminds me a bit of Dusty Springfield and the 60's era and is great for having as background music when entertaining.













No comments: