Sunday, December 21, 2008

The media wants to become relevant using our fear

I am in Miami now, on my way to Rio, Brazil for a vacation. I was watching the news and talking to a friend in New York. The reporter was talking about the blizzard in New York and so I asked my friend if it is that bad and she replied-No. In the past few weeks, I've been asking myself, how much of this economic crisis is Media made? How much of this hype is created because the newspapers and TV news need to be relevant and play on our fears while selling ad space. It reminds me of one of those Hollywood movies where a made up war is directed by a Hollywood director that was hired by the government.

I wish us all a wonderful 09 with improved global economy, better consciousness and awareness and a lot of great laughs. Amen.


Let's go back a month. I was in Miami for Art Basel, This is my third Art Basel and I think the one I enjoyed the most. The highlights:

Design Miami in the Design district- a show presenting different brands and designers Swarovski,Zaha Hadid, Audi, etc. The venue, was beautifully designed and created for this purpose and will travel for other exhibits.


Naomi Campbell's photo exhibit-the producers created an outdoor area, under a bridge in the design district. The exhibit walls were covered with moss, and the constructed wood floor was cut to accommodate a fish pond-quite the investment and a nice touch.



The Mondrian Hotel-designed by Marcel Wonders, the ground floor is like a design Alice in Wonderland, gold bell chandeliers, bars covered with a lit installation of shower curtains, cabanas made of xxl scale arches of artificial hedges (30 feet high or something like that) even a vending machine featuring Jean Paul Gaultier designs, gold hand cuffs and designer mints. Marilyn Manson was there for dinner and the bar scene was hot.
The convention center-Although not so packed, I think the right crowd was there without the filler crowd. I connected with the selection of art much more than I did in past years. The VIP lounges were very invested, The Ruinart table chandelier was wonderful and the Zaha Hadid "light fixture" is beautiful, I want one for my apartment! (I think they quoted me above hundred thousand euro. not this year.




During Art Basel, My company, Shiraz, catered parties for Holly Hunt (celebrating 25 years in business), a dinner party for Audi on a yacht, a boutique re opening for Louis Vuitton in Boca Raton, and more (15 in total), in New we produced an editor event for I can't believe its not butter (decorated with muffin topieries made our of the product), holidays parties for Apollo Real Estate and
Givaudan and many more, here are some of those images:













Digg!









No comments: